Saturday 5 December 2015

Prive Grill @ Keppel Bay (Restaurant Week)


Prive Grill @ Keppel Bay (Restaurant Week) 

This is a backdated review of Prive Grill's Restaurant Week meal in October. I'll let the set lunch menu below do some of the talking. 



 Toasted Bread with Olive Oil
The bread came in several shapes and was nicely toasted. Texture was crisp but not too hard. A respectable "appetizer", especially since it was complimentary.
 Toasted Salmon Belly Tartare (Starter 1)
This is a good starter, especially if you're fond of raw fish. The two bread sticks acted as a good "base" to complement the fish. Only qualm I had with this was that the portion size was too small ._. but it is expected since this is only a starter.


Rating: 7.5/10


 Beef Consomme (Starter 2)
This was basically beef stock/clear soup. Although I'm a fan of beef and herbal stuff I felt that this starter was too overpowering. However, it's ideal for someone who wants to slowly savour a starter while waiting for the main course.


Rating: 6.5/10
 300-day Grain Fed Rangers Valley Rump Cap (Main 1)
This was easily the highlight of the meal and it is by far one of the best steaks I've eaten in the past few years. Yes, it was that good, that tender flesh that melts in your mouth. I particularly liked the sauce that complemented the richness of the meat itself. Portion size was decent although I wish I had more.


Rating: 9/10
 Roasted Maine Scallops
Basically a dish with risotto, duck confit and of course the scallops. The scallops was lightly roasted and seasoned, which really brought out the freshness of the flesh. The actual size of the scallop were quite big. The duck confit happily melted in my mouth and was extremely savoury. But I understand that some may have find it as overpowering. Now with the risotto..., erm I guess it was a nice filler to balance out the dish? The risotto was a bit too mushy for my liking.

Rating: 8/10
  Warm Chocolate & Peanut Butter Fondant (Dessert 1)
The chocolate was basically a lava cake with peanut butter filling. As I'm not a fan of peanut butter, I would have preferred chocolate filling. However, the slightly too sweet peanut butter was complemented by the relatively more "bland" vanilla bean ice cream, marrying a wholesome union of hot and cold.


Rating: 8/10

Banoffee Pie (Dessert 2)
As the name implies, it's a pie with bananas and coffee flavoring, topped off with chocolate shavings. I didn't like the mushy bananas in this dessert and I felt that the first dessert was a better choice as this dessert was lacking in flavor and a real identity. Props to the presentation though.


Rating: 7/10

This was a pretty good Restaurant Week meal as I enjoyed all of the dishes and particularly the beef!
The ambiance of the restaurant was suitable for a weekend lunch. The proximity to the yachts and the Keppel Bay exuded a very holiday vibe which made me happier.  If you're interested in trying this place, I would suggest going for dinner instead for the better ambiance. I feel that the lights of the surroundings would liven up the place even more. Highly suitable for a date. However, I must caution anyone who doesn't have a car as this place would otherwise be highly inaccessible without one.

Overall rating: 8.5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment