Sunday 20 December 2015

Shin Yeh @ Liang Court (River Valley Rd)

Shin Yeh is a Taiwanese-style restaurant located along River Valley Road in Liang Court Shopping Centre. The food selection ranges from casual to mid range. They have a wide variety of ala carte dishes (including dim sum) but my party of 4 decided to go for one of the set meals (pictured below).





Eight Immortals

Presentation befitting of the Eight Immortals. However, it's quite messy for everybody to split each type of dim sum into halves. Majority of them had succulent prawns and each were individually richly filled. 


Double Boiled Soup (presumably changes daily)

I believe this was snow fungus and papaya soup? Quite a pleasant soup that was turned out more savory and did not go overboard with the flavoring.


Braised Sliced Garoupa with Eggplant and Beancurd served in Hot Pot

This was a filling dish as it came with a generous helping of fish and brinjal (and other vegs) in a stew. The fish was thankfully boneless and overall pretty tender. Easily one of the better dishes.


Spicy Fried Shiitake Mushrooms with Fried Garlic and Basil in Hotpot

I used to hate mushrooms with a vengeance due to some of their "offensive" taste but I became okay with most of them in recent years. These shiitake mushrooms are one of them as they taste more like meat with their tender (but not overly chewy) texture. Helps that Shiitake mushrooms don't have an overpowering taste. 


Crispy Duck served with Pancake, Sweet Sauce and Spring onions

It's like a pseudo-Peking duck without the crispy duck skin. The meat tasted like a slightly less hard jerky which I felt was quite refreshing. However, the meat tasted a bit cold and lacked the crisp I was expected. The other members of my party were also underwhelmed by this dish. I felt that this dish ended up being a poorer quality Peking Duck.


Fried Rice with Dried Scallop and Turnip

This is some good tasting fried rice. In fact it's one of the better ones I've tasted in a while. Presentation was pretty unique as it was served in a bucket Taiwanese-style (which I didn't manage to get a pic of) before it was split. The turnip and scallop adds a welcome crunch to the dish.



Red Bean Pancake

This was pretty average though I felt it was still too oily for my liking. However, I am biased as I'm usually not fond of desserts. The dessert-lovers in my party didn't really like this dish as well.


General Comments: Shin Yeh has quite a lot of appetizing dishes that "deviates" from the normal Chinese cooking seen in other restaurants. Their selection of dishes is quite varied and the prices are reasonable. I wouldn't really recommend the sets as having the choice of ala carte dishes is better for both value and taste. 

Rating: 8/10 

A side note: Liang Court has a per entry parking fee even on the weekends (like $3.20?) which is pretty good for a place located closer to the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment